Sunday 22 November 2015

Before We Begin


This blog is about my trek to the Great Wall of China. This was my first ever foray into the world without known company, and an incredible experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.


I met some wonderful people, and raised over £2000 for my chosen charity, Action Duchenne, which supports boys like my little brother, who has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. This is a life-limiting, muscle-wasting disease, which at the moment has no cure. I wanted to do something empowering, and useful, and since I had always wanted to go to China I figured a trek along the Great Wall would be something suitably adventurous.


I trained for a year and half before I went (which makes me sound a lot fitter than I was!), and had absolutely no idea what I was letting myself in for, but it was a total blast.

I hope you will enjoy reading about my strange and eye-opening pilgrimage. What follows is an abridged transcript of the illegible, heat-dazed notes I made whilst I was on the trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment